Ancient Graffiti Project
The goal of the Ancient Graffiti Project is to provide a digital resource so that users can explore the ancient graffiti in Herculaneum and Pompeii.
Desired Functionality, Features
- admin interface to make changes to the inscriptions
- Enter the metadata about the inscriptions
- Update information about the insula, properties
- ability to generate reports from database
- incorporate a “Greatest Hits” (e.g., where a Latin teacher could go to get our favorites, so she doesn’t have to wade through all the others)
- on the search results page, show how many results were found, e.g., returning 6 inscriptions out of 459
- Allow tags of all graffiti – for both categorization and searching
- tags are at a more detailed level than categories. For example, we could tag a graffito as “stag” while its category is “animals”. We can tag other graffiti as “poetry” or “messages”, for example, based on its content.
- How should this be integrated into the search functionality?
- open API to export data as JSON and/or as XML
- Example: can export all the figural graffiti at once
- Will have a user interface to this data but can also access through a web service/URL