Table of Contents
Schedule from Winter 2012
Week 1: Jan 9
- Familiarize yourself with project
- Read the project proposal (under Specifications)
- Mostly for motivation and problem; Loose description of project
- Click Search under Epigraphic Text Database
- Click Simple-search
- Enter “collegi” under “String 1” in part D
- You'll get all inscriptions that contain “collegi”
Week 2: Jan 17
- Learn Python: (First 4-5 weeks of CSCI 111 - I/O, basic assignments, arithmetic, using OO, for loops, if statements, conditionals, string operations)
Week 3: Jan 23
- Setting the locale for extracting data
- DB: Postgres 8.2 or 8.4 –> Does that matter?
- Creating a Postgresql DB
- Connecting to DB using Python
- Learn Python: Next 4-5 weeks of CSCI111
- Defining Functions, modules
- while loops
Week 4: Jan 30
- Learn Python: Defining classes
Week 5: Feb 6
- Extracting data from Heidelberg
- Possible to simplify script?
- Get data in English?
Week 6: Feb 13
- Storing data
- Create DB
Week 7: Feb 27
- Learn new web framework
Week 8: Mar 5
- Create prototype of web interface
- Allow users to edit data? Annotate data?
- Extract data?
- Allow users to mine data?
- Maintain application code in a version control system
Week 9: Mar 12
- Refine interface
- Use Ajax, JQuery to
Week 10: Mar 19
- Deploy application; test
Week 11: Mar 26
- Modify based on feedback
- More testing
Week 12: Apr 2
- Finalize implementation
- Submit code
- Documentation for how to run, maintain code
- Search in Heidelberg DB for “collegi”
- Search in Clauss DB for “societ”
- Can we automatically classify any of the inscriptions with their trades, deities, types of association?
- Can we automatically generate any of the drop down lists?
Notes from Meeting on 2/16
Participants: Professor Bond, David Margolies, Professor Sprenkle
- Get data in English
- Complete database schema
- Person info is unique to inscription – don't try to match up yet
- Add fields to DB for Trade, Deity, associative unit, imperial house (selection fields) and translation of inscription
- Connections - should be empty (don't use what's on the web page
- Add field for link to original web page? (Or, just display on the web interface
- Design web interface for admin and other users
Notes from Meeting on 4/11
Participants: David Margolies and Prof Sprenkle
- DONE Literature, A-Text, B-Text: need to append to previous, with newlines
- don't write over in map
- Modify look and feel, make more user friendly
- Paging - show where are in pages, how many pages – made an attempt
- Add button to edit from View page DONE
- Layout of Persons and Inscriptions - what should this look like?
- Missing Imperial House, Deity, Trade, etc.
- Make drop-down box (populated from DB)
- Possible to add more
- Update DB
- Person editing - instead of hidden field for inscription_id, make a session attribute
- or, should that be in the Person object?
- Layout of code
- app - controllers
- dao - data access object
- dao.hibernate - connects to DB
- domain - models
- domain.service - what controllers use; service uses DAO
- domain.validation - validator for inscription – used by view
- form JSTL tags
- need a person validator